When you download, copy, or transfer a file to your Mac, chances are the file you copy has an app associated with it. Your macOS has several apps that are set to default for common file types, be it an HTML webpage, a JPG photo file, or an MP4 video file. But some of you use third-party apps, apps like VLC music player, a photo viewer/editor, or a third-party browser like Google Chrome. In this guide, I will show you how you can set or change default apps for a file on your Mac.
- Jun 05, 2016 How to Change Default Mac App for Any File Type. Find a file of the type you want to change the default mac app for by opening Finder. Some file types won’t show you the extension that identifies the type of file. The extension is the ending of the file. For example a picture file type known as JPEG has a file ending of JPG.
- Back in the pre-Mac OS X and macOS days, Apple’s System 9 and earlier relied on hidden metadata to associate files with apps. File extensions, those bits of text that follow a period at the end.
- Jun 19, 2018 Each document that you have on your Mac is associated with a default. The file whose default launch app you want to change. To apply the association to all files with the same extension.
How To Change Default App
Jul 26, 2018 Choose your email app from the ”Default email reader” pop-up menu. Hard drive cloning software mac free. You can also set your default email app in the preferences of your third-party email app. Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. 9 rows Select the checkbox to enable the extension. Content extensions installed on your.
While many users are good with the Safari, some of you use Chrome browser on Mac which is a third-party browser for Mac, but webpage files on the Mac are associated with default Safari app. Similarly, for music files, iTunes, and for photo files, Preview app.
These apps open the common file types by default, these are fine, and you’ll be happy enough using them. But in case you have installed another app that you think it’s better than the default apps, you can change these default apps on your Mac to something different to open the file type.
How To Set Or Change Default Apps On Mac
Before you start with the guide, you still have the option to open the file in other apps temporarily.
- Right-click on the file you want to open and select Open With where you can choose the appropriate app.
For example, a file with extension .jpg opens in the built-in photo viewer app Preview by default, but at times you want to edit that photo in some photo editing apps such as Photoshop. You don’t often do edits on Photoshop which is why you don’t need to change the default app to Photoshop, you can choose the Open With menu to open the file in other apps temporarily.
However, if you want to set or change the default apps for a particular file, here’s what you need to do.
Default Apps For File Extension
- Right-click on a file that you want to change the app for and select Get Info.
- Click Open With if the section isn’t already expanded.
- Now click the dropdown and choose an app you want to open the file in by default.
- Click Change All & Continue when the Finder asks you if you’re sure.
More tips and tricks, guides, and tutorials related to Windows and Mac are available on How-To Guides. For more updates on the latest smartphones and tech, follow us on our social media profiles.
- Instagram Facebook TikTok
In some cases it is necessary to change which application is used for a specific file extension. If you found a found a better movie player, text editor, or image viewer you may want to use that application for all files with the same file extension.
Children's book creator app. Book Creator is a simple tool for creating awesome digital books. Create your own teaching resources or have your students take the reins. Aug 07, 2012 bookPress is a book creator that allows you to make your own book and publish it. Design your own book cover and pages. It is a storyteller tool that you can write a book for kids easily, hard or softback. It is also a publishing tool for authors. Use your photos, PDF documents, Word documents to create a beautiful printable book in minutes. You can download Kindle Kids' Book Creator 1.003 for Mac from our software library for free. The software belongs to Productivity Tools. This free software for Mac OS X is a product of Amazon Inc. The current installer available for download requires 274.2 MB of hard disk space.
For example, QuickTime Player is the default application for viewing MP4 movie files on OS X, but VLC could be your media player of choice.
Follow these steps to change your default preferences:
- Find a file with an extension you want to change the defaults to.
- Right click on the file to see a menu, and select “Get Info”.
(right click is a two finder click on a trackpad)
- A window appears with the file’s information, see the section called “Open with”
- It will display the current application used for this file, use the dropdown box to select you new application. If you do not see your new application in the dropdown box, use the “Other” selection to browse for it.
- Click on the “Change All” button to apply the change to all files ending with the same file extension. That’s all.
You can always override the default by manually opening the file in a different application with a simple right click, and “Open With” command when the default is not appropriate.
To make it easier to distinguish between file extensions you may want to also enable the option to make all file extensions visible. In Finder, select Preferences in the top menu, and click on the Advanced tab. Check the box that’s labeled “Show all file name extensions”.