- Show Icon Preview: If you enable this check box, the Finder displays icons for image files using a miniature of the actual picture. (A cool feature for those with digital cameras — however, showing a preview does take extra processing time because Mac OS X has to load each image file and shrink it down to create the icon.).
- Feb 27, 2018 To search by file type, use the word “kind” and the file type. For example, type “kind:folders” or “kind:audio”. To show the location of a file on your Mac, choose the file from the results list, then press and hold Command.
- Oct 11, 2015 The trash icon in El Capitan looks terrible, and that would hurt my eyes. If you agree with me, look at the way I change the Trash icon in Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Alright, Apple said there was a new remarkable feature related to the trash in the new El Capitan. However, what a poor design for such a good new function image!
Oct 15, 2013 This is the way I do it, no terminal/3rd party app required. Find the icon you want (preferably PNG) 2. Open it in preview, press CMD-A and CMD-C to copy it. Find the app whose icon you want to change and highlight it. Press CMD-I, and on the top left corner there should be the app's current icon. CMD-P to paste the new one.
Certain actions that you perform on your Mac will cause default apps to open. For example, clicking a document may open Pages. But what if you want Microsoft Word to open instead? You can also set your default web browser and email reader.
How to change the default Mac app for specific file types
- Right-click on a file that uses the file type you'd like to change the default for. For example, one with a .jpg extension (a photo).
- Click on Get Info in the pop-up.
- Click Open With if the section isn't already expanded.
Click the dropdown and choose an app.
- Click Change All..
Click Continue when the Finder asks you if you're sure.
Event planning software free mac. Now any time you open a file with that extension, the Finder will automatically open it with the app you've selected.
How to set your default web browser
- Launch System Preferences from the dock, Finder, or by clicking the Apple icon in the Menu bar.
- Click General at the top left of the window.
- Click the dropdown next to Default web browser.
Click the web browser you'd like to use as the default.
How to set your default email reader
Mail is likely the default email app on your Mac, but just in case you have others downloaded, you can set the default reader. Here's how:
- Launch Mail from your dock or the Finder.
- Click Mail in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Click Preferences.
- Click the dropdown next to Default Mail Reader.
Click the app you'd like to set as the default.
Change Icons On Mac
Let us know in the comments below.
Updated February 2020: Updated for macOS Catalina!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Change Icon Mac Osif only you knew the power of the dark side..
Apple doubles trade-in value of select Android devices for a limited time
Apple has quietly upped the trade-in price of several Android smartphones for a limited time, doubling the value of some handsets.