Dial-in your exposure, then plug in the USB cable to your camera, followed by your Mac; Close out the EOS Utility if it auto opens; Now when picking a camera in a video call app/service (needs to. Apr 29, 2020 Update April 29th 1:43PM ET: The article has been updated to clarify options available for Mac users. While Canon’s EOS Webcam Utility isn’t available for macOS, people with an Apple desktop.
Tired of using the low-res 720p FaceTime camera built-in to your MacBook Air, Pro, or iMac? Canon just expanded its beta software to macOS today that lets you use an EOS or PowerShot camera as your webcam for much-improved video quality.
Apple has taken a lot of criticism for sticking with just a 720p resolution for its MacBook and iMac built-in FaceTime cameras. The iMac Pro does have a 1080p resolution, but the majority of Mac users — including those with the 16-inch MacBook Pro and new 13-inch Pro and Air — are stuck with 720p that often produces grainy video, especially in low-light conditions.
Outside of buying an external webcam, what else is there to do? Well if you have a compatible Canon EOS or PowerShot camera, you can now use it for high-quality webcam video with your Mac.
Canon announced the news in a press release today and created a tutorial video on getting set up.
Unfortunately, there are some limitations since the EOS Webcam Utility is in beta, like no support for FaceTime or Safari, and you need to use the web versions of Zoom, Skype, etc. It’s also only available for users in the US at the moment. But if that’s not a dealbreaker, it’s definitely worth checking out!
If you don’t have a Canon camera (or your Canon model isn’t compatible) there are some other ways to use your DSLR or mirrorless camera as your Mac webcam.
Cascable Pro Webcam is a good alternative that works with most Canon, Fujifilm, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, and Sony cameras over WiFi and Canon EOS and Nikon cameras over USB. Cascable offers a free trial then runs $30 as a one-time purchase (this still is in beta).
Another option includes using two pieces of software, Camera Live and CamTwist. Read more about how to get going with this option here.
Finally, Camo is a sharp-looking app that allows you to use your iPhone as your webcam. It’s not fully launched yet but signups for early access are open.
Where Is The Eos Utility App On Mac Computer
How to use a Canon EOS camera as a high-quality Mac webcam
- Download the EOS Webcam Utility Beta from Canon (check that your specific EOS or PowerShot camera is supported here)
- After installing you’ll need to restart your Mac
- Now you can turn on your Canon camera and set it to movie mode
- Dial-in your exposure, then plug in the USB cable to your camera, followed by your Mac
- Close out the EOS Utility if it auto opens
- Now when picking a camera in a video call app/service (needs to be web-based, Chrome recommended) choose “EOS Webcam Utility Beta”
As mentioned above, at this time, FaceTime and Safari are not supported. And Mac apps like Zoom and Skype aren’t either, so you’ll need to use the web versions to make use of this beta utility for now.
Check out the full video walkthrough below:
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links.More.
Canon provides you with several photo programs, which are available for download from the Canon website. Just select your country and then enter EOS 80D in the model name prompt on the next page. Click the Drivers & Downloads link and then find the software you want to install for your system.
Currently, Canon recommends downloading the EOS Digital Solution Disk Software, which has some cool extras like a lens registration tool. However, if you click the Software link, you can download individual programs and install only the ones that you want.
Two crucial bits of business about installing the software:
- Have your camera handy. Dig out a USB cable that is compatible with the camera. At some point during installation, you may be prompted to attach your camera to the computer via the cable. You may also need your camera’s serial number to download some software. It’s the long number printed on the bottom of your camera.
- Get the latest versions. If you already have Canon software installed, check the website to make sure that you have the most current versions of the program. Look for the files labeled as updates to the existing software rather than downloading the whole initial software package. Again, you may be prompted to connect your camera to the computer during installation of the program.
For most programs, you can see the version number by choosing Help→About on a Windows computer or by choosing About from the program’s menu on a Mac. But for one program, Canon EOS Utility, Windows users need to click the Preferences button on the main screen, click OK to ignore the warning that appears, and then click the About button on the resulting screen.
To accomplish many downloading and file-processing tasks, you need to have installed the following programs:
- Canon Digital Photo Professional: Designed for more advanced users, this product offers a higher level of control over certain photo functions.
You also can view metadata in this program; choose View→Info to display the metadata in a separate window.
Twitch app for pc. I have the original Xbox one, S model and X and seem to only be having issues on my Xbox X. Hell I even create a new xbox and twitch profile to see if that helped. Ive done everything from multiple factory resets, clear Mac Data, cleared TwitchData stream key, cleared profile and resigned back in. My twitch app freezes after 15 mins of use.
- Canon EOS Utility: EOS Utility is required for downloading pictures to the camera and also for controlling the camera remotely from a computer.
You also have the option of installing a program designed for creating your own Picture Styles (Picture Style Editor), registering your lens data (Lens Registration Tool), and a tool you can use to register web services with the camera. These programs are available as part of the EOS Digital Solution Disk Software download.