by Christine Smith • 2020-07-09 10:58:11 • Proven solutions
Automate high volume caption and subtitle processing tasks such as insertion and extraction, format conversion, timing and frame rate adjustment, sub-clipping and clip assembly. Combine with Vantage for powerful automated closed captioning workflows. MacCaption and CaptionMaker are both available in three configurations. Caption takes the effort out of finding and setting up the right subtitles. A simple design, drag & drop search, and automatic downloading & renaming let you just start watching. Caption is multi-platform, open-source, and built entirely on web technology. Download for Windows.
Sometimes when you are editing your videos, you may want to add some subtitles to the videos either for better conveying the meaning or for making the videos more personalized.
There are many subtitle tools which can help you add and edit video subtitle. Below is a list of the best 10 subtitle editors for video editing on Windows/Mac. Have a look and get the great subtitle tools to add more fun to your home movie making.
- Part 2. How to easily edit subtitles on Windows/Mac.
Part 1. Top 10 subtitle editors you should know.
- Subtitle Workshop
- Open Subtitle Editor
- iToolSoft Movie Subtitle Editor
- POP Subtitle Editor
- Video Subtitle Editor
- Womble EasySub
- Aura Video Editor
Wondershare UniConverter - Your complete video toolbox
- Support adding subtitle from local and Internet, changing font, font colour, font size, and more other settings
- Edit, enhance & personalize your video files, like trim/crop video, add watermarks, apply video effects, etc.
- Convert videos over 1000 formats, including MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, MKV, MOV and more
- Burn and customize your video to DVD with free DVD menu templates
- Download or record videos from 10,000+ video sharing sites
- All-in-one toolbox includes GIF maker, video compressor, screen recorder, fix video metadata
- Industry-leading APEXTRANS technology converts or compresses videos with zero quality loss
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6
1. Subtitle Workshop
Subtitle Workshop is considered to be the best free subtitle editing tool with a user-friendly interface. It well supports all the popular subtitle formats like ASS, DKS, SCR, SUB, etc. Besides, it allows you to create, edit, and convert subtitles with ease. In addition, it comes with some advanced features, such as spell check, video preview, etc. With these great features, great speed and stability, Subtitle Workshop takes much less time to edit subtitles and received worldwide awarding. Note that it is also compatible with Windows Vista.
Photo Caption Software
Jubler is a text-based subtitle editing tool. It can be either used to create new subtitles or to correct, refine, transform, and convert existing subtitles. Like Subtitle Workshop, Jubler also supports all regular subtitle formats. This free subtitle editor comes with an optimization algorithm to help you fix the time inconsistencies. Besides, you can freely set the subtitles colors, check the spelling, choose the translation mode, etc. Before saving the subtitles, you can test the subtitles using MPlayer. Jubler can work on Windows, Mac and Linux.
SubtitleCreator is a free subtitle editor that lets you add subtitles to your DVD. It can convert ASCII-based SRT or SUB text files to the binary SUP format and enables you to change the color of the existing subtitles. It comes with an inbuilt DVD Authoring Wizard function, which allows you to add new subtitles to a previously copied DVD. The latest version supports Karaoke.
4. Open Subtitle Editor
The free subtitle editor is straightforward to use. Video editing and subtitle editing functions like subtitles translation, video resyncing, subtitles adding and removing, etc. are provided. You are also free to add new subtitles to any videos.
SubMagic is a free yet powerful video subtitle tool. You can freely convert, edit and enhance video subtitles. Beside, subtitles translation function is also provided.
Free programs to recover deleted files. Let the process complete and then verify that the files have been recovered to their original location. Right-click on the selection and choose Restore.
6. iToolSoft Movie Subtitle Editor
iToolSoft Movie Subtitle Editor is the ultimate subtitle editor with lots of options for editing subtitles. This program is awarded by softonic.com and software.informer.com for clean software (No viruses, No Adware, No spyware).
- Edits movie subtitles
- Supports for making the subtitles into the film
- Makes subtitles more distinct by adjusting bit rate and resolution ratio
- Edits all kinds of settings for subtitles, i.e., as typeface, color, and location
7. POP Subtitle Editor
POP Subtitle Editor is a very easy-to-use tool to write and add subtitles to any movie format such as WMV, MPEG, AVI or QT video file.
- Edits subtitles while previewing movies
- Customizes font style, font size, font color, and position of the subtitles in the screen
- One-click movie generation with subtitles
8. Video Subtitle Editor
Captions And Subtitle Services
Video Subtitle Editor is the mastering tool to edit subtitles for movies and TV shows very easily and efficiently.
- Powerful and easy-to-use interface
- Support almost every video formats such as iPod, WMV, DivX, AVI, MPEG, XviD, MP4, RM, 3G2, MOV, MPEG-4, etc.
- Edit movie subtitles with customization options like font style, font size, font color and position of the subtitles in screen
- Supports for converting movies with high quality and faster speed from one format to another and can cut larger video into smaller video clips
9. Womble EasySub
Womble EasySub is a subtitle editor tool for DVDs.
- Supports for creating, editing and managing subtitle text within DVD video files
- It has an embedded video player for editing subtitles and viewing effects in real-time
- Real-time preview also helps to synchronize subtitles with the voice segment
- Supports for importing existing subtitle files and then manipulate it like shifting time or change language
- Supports for writing subtitles to DVDs
10. Aura Video Editor
Aura Video Editor is a full-featured and easy-to-use video editor with a built-in subtitle editor.
- Drag and drop video editing
- Supports for adding subtitles to movies or videos
- Customizes subtitles with different effects like you can change font type, color and position as well as transition effects
- Real-time preview lets you see your video before saving videos with customized effects
Part 2. How to easily edit subtitles on Windows/Mac.
Besides the subtitle editors listed above, Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) is the best subtitle editor for your video. It's also the best video converter for over 1000 video and audio formats, you can change the format from MOV to MP4 or any other to playback on different devices. With this all-in-one video tool, you can also edit videos with trimming, cropping, rotating, watermarks, effects, etc. It's compatible with both Windows and Mac system, free download, and follow the simple steps in the next part to edit subtitles easily.
Steps to Edit Subtitle with Wondershare Video Subtitle Editor
Step 1 Add Video for Editing Subtitle
Download, install and launch Wondershare UniConverter on your PC/Mac, then you'll come to the Video Converter tab by default. Click the Document icon on the interface to choose and add the video you want to edit subtitle.
Step 2 Edit Subtitle to Video
After the video added successfully, a thumbnail will appear. Click the second or the third icon on the video thumbnail to open the Video Editor window and then choose the Subtitle option. From where, you can change different options about your subtitle such as font, color, size, position, and so on. Macos stable app to window mapping app. Click the OK button to save all your changes.
Step 3 Save Subtitle for Playback
Choose an output video format for your video if you need from the Output Format option. Open the drop-down list and choose the Video tab, then select a video format and resolution. You can also tap on the Device tab to choose iPhone/iPad/Android devices supported formats. Finally, click on the Convert button to save and convert all your changes.
See how easy it is to caption your videos. Just load your movie, set your text/background properties, then click the Start button. MovieCaptioner will start playing the first 4 seconds of your video in a loop. Just type what you hear in that loop and then hit your Return/Enter key to record that caption and it's starting timecode. MovieCaptioner will then automatically move on to the next 4 seconds of your movie. Just keep typing and hitting your Return/Enter key until you've captioned your entire movie. It couldn't be simpler! If you can type, you can make your videos accessible for the deaf, increase your search engine optimization (SE0), and open your videos up to a much wider audience.
VideoWordSearch for YouTube
Finally, a new way to search YouTube Videos - by exact word or phrase match in the transcripts. You don't have to watch the whole video to see if it contains the content you're searching for!
- You can automatically search 50 or more videos at once for the search terms you're looking for or search one video at a time.
- Returns search results with a direct link to that part of the video that contains the search term or phrase.
- Search results can be saved as either plain text or tab-delimited text that can be imported into Excel.
- Can also download full text transcripts
- Can download closed caption files in either SRT or VTT formats.
- You can choose from any language available for that particular video.
VideoWordSearch for YouTube is a must-have tool for anyone who does any type of video research on YouTube. Teachers, professors, journalists and other researchers will get the video content they need quickly and effortlessly.More InfoDownload DemoBuy Now
SCC Caption Decoder
Have an SCC caption file that you need to translate into human-readable text transcripts? Need to find where that error is in your SCC captions? This closed captioning decoder is exactly what you need, and a great companion tool for MovieCaptioner. Just select your SCC file and it will save it as a new text transcript with timecode. The timecode can either stay the same as the SCC file (very useful for troubleshooting) or it can remove the buffer time that SCC files build in, making the timecode closer to the actual time the captions are displayed. You can also opt to output as paragraph text without timecode. By providing text transcripts of your movies on your Web site, you will not only be providing accessibility, but you will also improve your search engine optimization by providing searchable content.It can now batch-process a whole folder of files, or enable the hot folder to check for new SCC files every so many minutes. It will auto-process any SCC files it finds in your hot folder and copy the original files to an archive on your destination folder along with the decoded transcripts.More InfoDownload DemoBuy Now
Just paste in the URL of the YouTube video and click the Search button. It will go out and find all the available closed caption tracks that have been uploaded for that video and display them in the list. Choose one or more of the provided languages, then choose whether you want SRT files or Text Transcripts. If you choose Text Transcripts, you can choose the format of how you want your transcripts as either text in paragraph form or line-by-line, with or without timecode. Then click the Download button and it will save each language as a separate file. It's that easy!More InfoFree Download
ScreenCaptureX captures your computer screen in 3 different ways. Just choose which type of image you want to capture, then click the Capture Screen button. It will save it as a JPEG (numbered sequentially) to your Desktop. Simple, huh? Need to grab a still from a DVD? ScreenCaptureX can do it!More InfoFree Download
Get Started with Video Captioning (Guía de iniciación para hacer accesibles sus videos)
This book is for anyone new to captioning video who wants to learn more about the subject. It discusses the reasons that video should be captioned, the many different caption file formats and how to create them, helpful software to use, captioning style guidelines, and helpful links to more information.
Available for free in the iBook Store for your Mac or iOS device or as a PDF. También disponible en español: Introducción A La Subtitulación De VideosMore Info