Causality is a new kind of writing app where you develop your story visually. Whiteboard that updates the script. Download Videos. WRITE LIKE YOU THINK Work with your story the way it looks in your mind, but with a far greater ability to visualize the structure. Production reports, script supervising. Automatic book layout and publishing. Final Draft 11 will only work with Mac OS 10.12 and above or Windows 10 and above. If you are entering the Big Break Contest, please disregard this warning. If the current OS on all your machines is older, please contact our sales department via chat, by email, or by phone M-F 8:30-5:30 PT. With Script you can write formatted scripts on your mobile device, collaborate with partners, and get free backups of all your writing. PlusScript syncs with all-in-one online Celtx studios, so you can take your finished script into production and collaborate with your team on breakdown, storyboarding, scheduling, budgeting, and call sheet generation and distribution.
Screenwriting software are word processors specialized to the task of writing screenplays.
While add-ins and macros for word processors, such as Script Wizard for Microsoft Word, can be used to write screenplays, the need for dedicated screenwriting programs arises from the presence of certain peculiarities in standard screenplay format which are not handled well by generic word processors such as page-break constraints imposed by standard screenplay format. Screenplay software often provides specialized shortcuts for quickly typing character names or slug lines, collaborating with other writers, adding production notes, character notes, easy outlining, scene reordering, and other tools to facilitate the creative process. Other features often required when writing shooting scripts include page-locking, scene numbering, revision-tracking, and production-related reports (such as which characters appear in a given scene or which scenes are set during the day or night).
Some screenwriting applications, such as Celtx and Sophocles, also incorporate production scheduling and budgeting features.
Another class of screenwriting software includes those that, rather than act as specialized word processors, attempt to direct the writer's storytelling process by utilizing story theory to facilitate the planning of a screenplay. Examples of this type of program includes Dramatica and Index Card.
Screenwriting software often also provides functions that allow writers to analyze their scripts for various characteristics. In 2018, developers began adding functions that allow an analysis of gender representation such as the Bechdel test, e.g. in Highland 2, WriterDuet and the forthcoming Final Draft 11.
Screenwriting programs exist for all varieties of platforms and environments including traditional standalone desktop applications that run directly on a personal computer, web applications that run solely within a browser, and mobile apps that run on phones, tablets, and other portable devices.
Plain text markup
The Fountain markup syntax, co-developed by screenwriter John August, facilitates formatting screenplays directly from plain text, be it in dedicated writing software, email programs, or text generated through OCR. There is also a formatting package for LaTeX called screenplay.
The first screenwriting software was a standalone script formatter, Scriptor, from Screenplay Systems. It took a text file generated by a word processor and inserted the proper page break tags. When used in conjunction with a TSR program such as SmartKey or ProKey—keyboard utilities that assigned a sequence of commands to keystroke combinations—the 'dot commands' that Scriptor required could be inserted semi-automatically. Additionally, keyboard macros could be programmed to properly indent and enter abbreviations—allowing a user to customize the working of the word processor.
SmartKey was popular with screenwriters from 1982–1987, after which word processing programs had their own macro features.
An update to Scriptor understood the style sheets used in Microsoft Word for DOS. And so the need for key macro programs was lessened. Scriptor's limitation was that once formatted it was difficult to re-import the resulting text back into a word processor for further editing.
The next generation of screenplay software hooked into Microsoft Word. Warren Script Application was initially released as a set of style sheets for Word for DOS. It was updated for Word for Windows circa 1988. gScript, a shareware script formatter/template, was released via CompuServe in 1989. It was included on the disk accompanying the book Take Word for Windows to the Edge, published by Ziff-Davis in 1993. It was subsequently updated and released commercially as ScriptWright.
This third generation of screenplay software consists of the standalone script writing programs such as Movie Magic Screenwriter, Final Draft, and Cinovation's Scriptware.
The latest generation adds online storage and collaboration and integrates with apps on mobile devices. Many software also integrate outlining tools as well as other creative support, and tools to further integrate the production process.
List of softwares
- Arc Studio Pro - Professional screenwriting software with automatic formatting, real time collaboration and drag and drop outlining features. Free and paid versions available.
- Beat - Free and open source screenwriting app for macOS, with drag and drop outlining, scene card and timeline views. It uses the Fountain plain text format.
- Causality - an original approach emphasizes visual story development outlining and simultaneous scripting movement while tracking causalities (cause and effects) of key plot points; simultaneously display of 3 story elements: Snippets(Script)/Story Logic (White Board)/Timeline, plus visual Characters tracking. Quickly breeze though an outline, simultaneously write out story Snippets as the ideas come. Exports into Final Draft, Fountain, and PDF, and loaded with extra features, with multi-language support, plus collaboration and other features coming soon. Free and Paid versions for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows. 
- Celtx - Free to register, but requires paid subscription for the full collaborative version. Browser-based, with apps for Mac OS X, IOS, and Android. Includes a comic book script-writing mode.
- DramaQueen - Software for script writers and novelists. Offers working with storylines, turning points, different structure models, a storytelling guidance, character profiles, story-charts and character arcs.
- Dramatica - Name of a theory and software suite created as part of a project by Chris Huntley and Melanie Anne Phillips.
- DubScript Screenplay Writer- A professional screenwriting software for Android with features such as auto-formatting and Google Docs fixing. A free version is available with a watermark header on printed output/PDF and optional subscription. DubScript also outputs to most major screenwriting formats.
- Fade In Professional Screenwriting Software - Professional screenwriting software for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows and Linux, with mobile versions for iPhone, iPad and Android. Imports and exports Final Draft as well as most other major screenwriting software formats.
- Final Draft - Professional screenwriting software for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows.
- Highland - Highland is a screenplay utility for Mac that seamlessly converts PDF screenplays into editable Fountain or Final Draft files, and back again. It’s also a text editor, so a screenplay can be written directly in Highland.
- JotterPad - A powerful professional screenwriting app for Android. Includes paid Fountain support, export to Final Draft and print formatted script to PDF.
- KIT Scenarist - A free and open source screenwriting software for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows and Linux, which includes story development tools, corkboard, screenplay editor and statistics module. Includes paid service for real-time collaboration and versions for Android and iOS.
- Montage - Screenwriting software for Mac only.
- Movie Magic Screenwriter - Integrated professional screenwriting software. Available on Mac and Microsoft Windows.
- Page 2 Stage - Free open-source software, designed specifically for Windows. Available in a variety of languages.
- Practical Scriptwriter - Professional script writing software for Windows. Formats cover Film, Stage, Radio and TV.
- Prewrite - Free browser-based tool for writers to develop story ideas into a screenplay, scene-by-scene—visually with timelines, cards and inspiring images. It tracks story beats, characters, emotional context, plot threads, and provides advanced analysis tools for insights into story structure. Provides importing and exporting features that work with Final Draft and PDF file formats.
- Script Studio (formerly Movie Outline) - Creative writing software for Mac and Windows designed by produced screenwriter for writing and professionally formatting movie scripts, teleplays, stage plays and novels. Includes story and character development features.
- Scripts Pro - iOS-based app which allows a writer to edit scripts in text file format via Dropbox and iTunes transfers.
- Scrivener (software) - A powerful writing tool that helps writers concentrate on composing and structuring long and difficult documents for Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows.
- Screenwriter-mode - Major mode for the GNU Emacs free text editor. Includes commands and tools to format scripts as plain text files.
- Slugline - It is a screenwriting app for Mac, iPad and iPhone. It uses the Fountain plain text format.
- Story Touch - Story Touch is a complete software for dramatic development and creation. Graphs and color pallets will provide a veritable X-ray of a script.
- Storyist - Storyist is a creative writing application for Mac OS X and iPad.
- StudioBinder Script Sides - StudioBinder is a TV & film production management software which has an inbuilt screenwriting tool called 'script sides'.
- Tooleybook - Free online book writing software 
- Trelby - A free and open source screenwriting program for Linux and Microsoft Windows. (Development at a standstill, but still viable and available for download.)
- WriterDuet - Real-time collaborative, online-offline professional screenwriting software.
- Adobe Story - An online collaborative screenwriting suite by Adobe.
- Celtx free desktop version - Has become cloud-based requiring paid subscription for the full version.
- FiveSprockets - A discontinued free, online, collaborative story-development and scriptwriting web-software.
- Scripped - Professional browser-based screenwriting text editing software. (now defunct and no longer accessible)
- Sophocles - commercial story-development, scriptwriting, and scheduling package. (discontinued)
- ^'Select the Perfect Script Software WritersDigest.com'. WritersDigest.com. 2008-03-11. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- ^'What is the best free screenwriting software for screenwriters?'. Script Reader Pro. 2020-06-06. Retrieved 2020-06-06.
- ^'Celtx is Now an All-in-One Video & Movie Planning System'. No Film School. 2016-01-06. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- ^Ryzik, Melena (21 May 2018). 'Is your script gender-balanced? The new test helping filmmakers get it right'. The Independent. Retrieved 20 June 2018.
- ^'John August and Stu Maschwitz Release 'Fountain,' a Handy Screenwriting Tool/Markup Language'. No Film School. 2012-02-14. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- ^https://medium.com/infodump/a-working-guide-to-screenwriting-software-384abe163545 'A working guide to screenwriting software' Julian Simpson Mar 17 2018
- ^ abcEaton, Kit (2015-02-04). 'Video Feature: Easy Ways to Get Your Movie Idea Out of Your Head'. The New York Times. ISSN0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
The screenplays for a skit, movie, etc can be written in an efficient manner if you have the right software tool installed on your device. For all those who are on the lookout for a tool which helps to write screenplays in the desired format and quality, the Free Screenwriting Software tool is the perfect one for you. This article mentions some of the best Free Screenwriting Software tools that are used in recent times.
WriterDuet is a Free Screenwriting Software tool which lets you work on your screenplay. It supports all kind of text file formats, provides options for backup and is very easy to use.
Plotbot is a Free Screenwriting Software tool used to write screenplays online. This tool is easy to use and it helps create private screenplays with all sorts of formatting options.
Final Draft is a Free Screenwriting Software tool used to write screenplays in your Windows and Mac device. This tool is used by the top production companies and studios for making effective screenplays.
Slugline is a simple, Free Screenwriting Software tool for Mac. Use this tool to get auto format options and change the text, format, style of your writing to get a beautiful looking screenplay.
Nongnu screenwriter is a Free Screenwriting Software tool that is used by writers for effective writing. Download this tool to start writing the screenplay without worrying about the license of the software.
Fade In Pro
Fadeinpro is a professional, Free Screenwriting Software tool used for making high quality screenplays. Use this tool to change the format and edit your work in an efficient manner.
Free Screenwriting Software for Other Platforms
Find out the list of Free Writing Software or Screenwriting software tools that are available online. Download the best Screenplay Software tool to make use of the efficient features and create your very own screenplay.
Celtx Script for Android
Celtx Script is an Android application which lets you write formatted scripts and save your works as a backup. Use this Free Screenwriting Software application to finalize your script in the desired format.
MovieDraft for Windows
MovieDraft is the best Free Screenwriting Software tool for Windows. The demo version can be downloaded to start writing the script. You can save your screenplay after purchasing the pro version.
Celtx for Mac
Celtx is the best system for video making and movie planning. Use this Free Screenwriting Software tool to write the script, plan the shoot and work on the rest of the production.
Trelby – Most Popular Software
Book Writing Software For Mac
Trelby is the most popular Free Screenwriting Software application which is loaded with features for helping you write your screenplay. Some of its features include screenplay editor, reports, database, compare, import, export, PDF, etc.
How to install Free Screenwriting Software Tool?
The Free Screenwriting Software tool can be downloaded for free from the official website of the developer or the software. If you’re a professional user, you can purchase the pro version since it offers many extra features that can save your time. Click on download option to save the application and run it to start the installation process. Installation is not complicated and it can be done in the usual way. After the installation is complete, the Free Screenwriting Software tool will be ready for use.
Free Screenwriting Software tools let you check the format, spelling and other such details of your screenplay. Choose the most recommended screenplay or screenwriting tool for your device so that you can use it in an efficient manner. Thus, screenplays or screenwriting is made easy using these highly efficient, feature-rich screenwriting tools.