A duplicate file finder is a tool that’s used to find duplicate files on a local computer or corporate network. This tool runs a deep search on your computer to compare duplicate files regardless of the filename. The list of duplicate files can either be removed, copied, or moved.
Duplicate files are a problem not only because they clutter your storage space. But also because they might cause unnecessary lags, especially when the specific file is large. Your computer system doesn’t come with an innate tool to handle these tasks. And it’s close to impossible to manually go through all your folders to pick and get rid of the duplicates.
May 10, 2016 Finding duplicate files on your Mac is like finding a needle in a haystack: takes either superhuman patience, or a metal detector duplicate finder app. In this post, we’ll go over both manual and app-powered ways to remove all the useless copies that waste your disk space. Sep 19, 2018 Check your Desktop and Downloads folders first To delete duplicate attachments in Mail, verify that you do have a copy somewhere online, then find the email in the app and go Message Remove Attachments Open up Finder and put an asterisk in the search field, making sure you’re searching your whole Mac. The results will start appearing slowly.
Without a quality third-party Duplicate File Finder, your only option is running a search for a specific file and manually deleting the duplicates that appear. And not only is the method time consuming but it’s also inconvenient because you can’t do away with the duplicates unless you know the specific files to look for.
In this guide, I will help you find the best duplicate file finders for your exact needs. Let’s go!Table Of Content
- Best Duplicate File Finder for Mac: Gemini 2
- Best Duplicate File Finder for Windows: Easy Duplicate Finder
- Runner Up #1 (Mac & Windows): Duplicate Sweeper
- Runner Up #2 (Windows): Duplicate Cleaner Pro
- Runner Up #3 (Mac): Tidy Up 5
- Runner Up #4 (Windows): Wise Duplicate Finder
- Best Free Duplicate File Finder: dupeGuru
- Free Duplicate File Finder Runner Up #1: Auslogics
- Free Duplicate File Finder Runner Up #2: Alldup
- Free Duplicate File Finder Runner Up #3: Clonespy
Review Summary Table
Note: If you use a small screen you may have to scroll right to see all the columns.NamePlatformPriceMy Rating(My #1 Pick)
Gemini 2Mac OSFrom $19.95Easy Duplicate FinderMac OS
Windows OSFrom $39.95Duplicate SweeperMac OS
Windows OSFrom $20Duplicate Cleaner ProWindows OSFrom $38Tidy Up 5Mac OSFrom $29.99Wise Duplicate FinderWindows OSFrom $24.94
Reviews of the 10 Best Duplicate File Finders
As stressed earlier, having a good Duplicate File Finder is important as it helps to free extra disk space while providing more space for the smooth running of your applications. This tool also speeds up indexing and reduces back up size and time.
So let’s now shed light on some of the best duplicate file finders available on the market today!
Best Duplicate File Finder for Mac: Gemini 2
Multi-purpose Duplicate Finder- Developed by the creators of the renowned CleanMyMac X,
Fully Customizable Finder. Gemini 2 features in-built smart algorithms that track and retain your choices. The software gives you a range of search options to improve the scan accuracy and enhance the effectiveness of the process. The customization function also allows for precise searching, especially when you have an idea of the specific file you wish to remove. By allowing you to key in the file type, name, size, and location,
It allows you to review the results. Unlike regular Duplicate File Finders which search and automatically remove duplicate files that don’t belong, Gemini 2 provides you with the search results before executing the removal process. And while the software intelligently picks exact duplicates that are absolutely identical and with the same weight, the list of the results helps to instill the extra trust before removing the redundant files.>> Tim’s Pro Tip; When using the software to scan your Mac, we recommend quitting other apps to avoid overheating. Gemini 2 is quite demanding to run concurrently with other apps.
- It effectively detects tons of duplicates on your Mac
- It detects similar files on the hard drive, external drives, cloud storage, and network storage
- Intelligent file categorization makes review extra easy
- User-friendly interface simplifies navigation
- The ‘gamification’ feature can be distracting
Why Gemini 2 is the Best Duplicate File Finder for Mac…?
Gemini 2 is an intelligent MacPaw’s Duplicate File Finder that boasts of high-end effectiveness and customization. This software intelligently categorizes files into either similar or duplicate to allow for easier review and removal. The multi-purpose software removes redundant files from multiple sources and gives you a list of search results for review after scanning your Mac. It’s also easy to use and features a sleek interface that’s easy to navigate.Get Gemini 2 Here!
Best Duplicate File Finder for Windows: Easy Duplicate Finder
Easy Duplicate Finder features a powerful build that offers you 10+ scan modes and search methods for advanced file management. With the wide range of scan options, you can specifically search for a given file, which in turn enhances the accuracy of the process. By allowing you to use the file name, size, location, and other particulars, this software dredges and lifts off all the redundant files from your Windows 10 computer without fail.
It allows you to Compare Files by Content. Unlike regular duplicate file finders, Easy Duplicate Finder gives you the option of either trusting the system or counter checking to verify. After every scan, the software lines up the list of duplicate files found for you to compare them by content. This feature gives you the extra confidence and assurance that you’ll never lose important files on your computer.
Multi-purpose Duplicate Finder- Most duplicate file finders on the market are designed to fish out redundancy in your hard drive only. However, for the Easy Duplicate Finder, the job doesn’t stop here but instead moves on to other areas prone to duplicate files. The cloud duplicate finder effectively weeds our files that don’t belong from cloud storage like Google Drive and Dropbox as well.
Easy to Use Interface. During my Easy Duplicate Finder review, I noticed the sleek interface. The intelligent software uses smart technology to identify true duplicates, and not just those of the same type, size, and extension. The Folder Comparison Mode picks one folder and uses it as a master copy to compare others against it.
- Fast and easy to use user-interface
- Effectively manages multiple duplicate documents
- Allows for file comparison by content
- Intelligent and accurate search engine
- Scans online storages like Google Drive and Dropbox
- You have to buy the software to delete more than 10 duplicates
Why Easy Duplicate Finder is the best duplicate file finder for Windows…?
This software is arguably the best there is for Windows users. Easy Duplicate Finder features 10+ scan modes and search methods to enhance the personalization and accuracy of the process. The software scans for duplicates in cloud storages and has an easy to use user-interface. This tool also has a restore button to undo accidental file removal.Get Duplicate Finder
Runner Up #1 (Mac & Windows): Duplicate Sweeper
Multi-purpose Duplicate Finder- Other than being a high-end Duplicate File Finder for Windows and Mac users, Duplicate Sweeper does an impeccable job removing redundant files from the hard drive and cloud storage. Whether its photos, documents, video files, or backup sets, this incredible software will weed them out from wherever they are.
Fully Customizable. Duplicate Sweeper uses a smart search algorithm to intelligently pick specified duplicates for a swift removal process. Regardless of the file name, duplicates can be identified by comparing the content, which makes the process seamless in its entirety. The software gives you a wide range of scan and search options for a personalized feel and comprehensive cleaning experience.
Allows you to Preview Your Files. During my Duplicate Sweeper review, I noticed the handy viewer, which details the duplicate files for a quick and effective comparison. And while the software uses smart algorithms to only flag what doesn’t belong, the preview viewer gives you the assurance that you’ll not lose important files during the cleaning process.
Sleek, Easy-to-Use Interface. The Duplicate Sweeper has a user-friendly interface that’s extra easy to navigate. This Mac and Windows software makes finding, selecting, and removing duplicate files, extra quick and easy. You can choose to either have the duplicates removed automatically, which is faster, or carry out a review of the results before removing those that don’t belong. The duplicates are moved to the Recycle bin or the Trash, allowing you to restore them in case you accidentally remove important files.
- Effectively lifts off redundant files even if they don’t have the same filename
- Fully customizable for a quick and effective scanning process
- Categorizes search results in groups based on the location
- Shows a 3D graphical representation of all the duplicates to help you identify the areas with most redundant files
- The demo mode does not delete found duplicate
Runner Up #2 (Windows): Duplicate Cleaner Pro
All-in-one Solution. Regardless of the nature of duplicates your computer might be having, the Duplicate Cleaner Pro knows no boundaries. Whether it’s cluttered folders, images, music, or video files, this software will intelligently pick, compare, and remove duplicate files without fail. For images, the Cleaner picks similar photos which might vary in editing, angle, or size, for you to manually review. The software also scans all popular music files formats to identify exact and similar matches.
Powerful Windows Duplicate Cleaner. The software is powerful enough to take on duplicate files regardless of the bulk your PC might be having. It comes packed with brilliant features that strategically take on different locations to enhance precision and accuracy. Through automated selection and advanced filtering, you can dredge for duplicate folders and unique items in zip files for a more comprehensive scanning.
Allows for Beforehand Review of the Results. The Duplicate Cleaner Pro gives you the freedom to either carry on with automatic removal of the duplicates or take a few seconds to compare the contents. And though the software employs high-end comparison technology to reduce the chances of accidental removal of files, it’s important to know that you can always have a quick look before removing the files. The handy Selection Assistant brilliantly allows you to review the search results before removing them or moving them to a different folder.
Easy-to-use Interface. Just like with any other software, the user experience has a great impact on whether or not you stick with the product. The interface makes navigation blissful and also has a restore option in case you accidentally remove important files.
- Fast duplicate file finder with an easy to use user-interface
- Great filtering and automated selection
- Compares content to determine what’s redundant
- Cannot pause search
Runner Up #3 (Mac): Tidy Up 5
The Tidy Up 5 is a totally re-engineered software that offers multiple libraries support to weed out redundant files and free essential hard drive space. The software supports Lightroom, Mail, Photos, iTunes, iPhoto, and Aperture. As one of the best duplicate photo finder for Mac users, the software drenches for all duplicate files and removes them in areas that you probably never thought they existed.
Fully Customizable. The new generation is fully-featured and powerful enough to take on redundant files. This modern and efficient tool is totally customizable, allowing for a precise and quick clean up exercise. It provides multiple criteria to search and scan specific items for more in-depth identification and comparison. By allowing you to specifically use the file name, size, and location, Tidy Up 5 makes the process seamless and effective.
Categorizes the Results for Swift Review. This software organizes the search results and categorizes them neatly based on their type (folders, images, music files, videos, and PDFs). The new organizational structure is designed to simplify the review process and is based on tab separation. Each of the tabs has unique settings which include smart boxes, view by grid or list, and search sources.
User-friendly Interface. The Tidy Up 5 comes with two different modes, which are both easy to navigate. The Simple Mode comes with up to 80 different pre-defined smart searches, while the Advanced Mode offers a more customized approach by refining the search criteria. The newly redesigned interface is not only easy to use but also very powerful.
- Easily and effectively collects duplicates in the Lightroom Library
- Possibility to handle the search results at the administrator level
- Powerful and easy-to-use interface
- Allows you to review search results
- Couldn’t find one
Runner Up #4 (Windows): Wise Duplicate Finder
The Wise Duplicate Finder is a duplicate file management tool for Windows 10 that helps you search, identify, and remove redundant files from the system. The software uses intelligent algorithms to compare not only the file names but also the content to enhance the accuracy and effectiveness of the process. It lifts off unwanted files from your hard drive to create more room and discourage unnecessary lags.
Fully Customizable Finder. In the course of going on with your daily work, you probably download loads of images, music, or movies. Right? Well, most of these files are downloaded repeatedly and pile up in your disk space over time. With the improved version of the Wise Duplicate Finder, you can personalize scanning to cover the area you think might have more duplicate. Whether you want to dredge through the images, videos, music, or backup, you can conveniently weed out the unwanted files in a jiffy.
Categorizes the Search Results in Groups. The Wise Duplicate File Finder Windows 10 works not only to identify the redundant files but also to remove them effectively. The files picked are grouped based on their type (folders, images, music, video, and PDFs). Grouping the search duplicate file results makes reviewing swift as you can easily pick what to delete and what to leave.
Sleek Interface with a Dedicated Restore Option. With the Wise Duplicate Finder, you don’t have to worry about losing important files by mistake. The software has a restore function which allows for automatic reversal of the action- bring back all the files in a single click. All this makes Wise Duplicate File Finder one of the best software to find duplicate files.
- The flexible tool allows you to select the specific files you want to scan
- Allows you to easily restore deleted files
- It allows for the removal of empty files as well
- Available in more 25 different languages
- It’s not possible to save the scan list for future reference
Best Free Duplicate File Finder: dupeGuru
Effective Duplicate File Finder.
Customizable Duplicate File Finder. DupeGuru features fully customizable search engines that allow you to personalize your search to the areas you want. This duplicate video finder allows you to choose the size, location, and other attributes of the files you’re targeting to weed out for a comprehensive and accurate search experience.
It scans music regardless of the format and generates a comprehensive music-related report and promote a swift review. For photos, the tool has a dedicated photo mode that accurately picks photos that are similar and exact and lists them for you to review.
Efficient and Safe Software. When it comes to file filtering, most people are skeptical because of the fear of losing important documents. However, this isn’t a concern you’ll ever have with dupeGuru- the tool is designed with the safety of your documents in mind. After every search, dupeGuru provides a detailed reference directory categorized into groups to help you review faster. All this makes dupeGuru the best free duplicate file finder.
- It has multiple operational modes and scan types
- Provides you with a detailed list of the duplicates for review before deleting
- The fuzzy matching algorithm helps to identify and delete duplicate files
- Allows you to filter special files
- During my dupeGuru review, I found the interface a bit old-fashioned
Free Duplicate File Finder Runner Up #1: Auslogics
Smart Matching Algorithm. The
The Software Grants You Full Control. The Auslogics duplicate file finder is fully customizable and is designed to accommodate different search modes and methods for a personalized cleaning experience. Choose the type, size, and location of the files you wish to scan for a quick and straightforward experience. The patented features make using this tool very easy while enhancing its effectiveness.
Driver & Download. KODAK ESP Office 2170 All-in-One Printer Home Center Software Drivers for MACINTOSH Operating Systems. With this version of software, you can easily download PrintProjects software, which helps you design, print, and share photo cards, calendars, books, and more. With PrintProjects software, you can print at home or have your creations shipped to you. Kodak 2170 printer head replacement.
Industry-acknowledged Duplicate Files Finder. Developed with the user’s safety in mind, the Auslogics duplicate file finder has been run through multiple tests and given the go-ahead by industry experts. Not only does it use intelligent matching criteria, but it also generates a search result report before deleting for manual review. The search results are categorized into groups based on their type for a more organized and swift review process.
User–friendly Interface. The software has an easy-to-use interface that renders navigation a bliss. The legendary design does not require technical know-how to maneuver. I found the user experience to be great, considering the software is absolutely free with no limitations.
- Auslogics duplicate file finder scans the computer fast
- Effectively picks similar and exact files for review
- Has a user-friendly interface
- Fully customizable
- Folder selection is inconvenient
Free Duplicate File Finder Runner Up #2: Alldup
Multiple Search Modes.
Multi-purpose Tool. Downloading music, photos, and other files from the internet is something we have to keep up with every day. Unfortunately, most are the times you download a file multiple times because you can’t locate the other one. Over time, the redundant files pile up and take up your disk space. With Alldup though, all these files can be identified and removed in a single click. Whether its photos, audio, videos, backup sets, among others, this tool will clean up your system effectively
Smart Finder. While cleaning up your hard drive to free up some extra space and boost your computer’s performance sounds good, there’s always a risk of losing important documents. However, this free duplicate photo finder eliminates any possibility of deleting unintended files by using a smart marching algorithm and providing you with a review report before deleting.
Backup and Restore. After searching, the results can be saved for later using Alldup. Also, you can move the redundant files and folders to the recycle bin or a separate backup folder, from where you can review before deciding what to delete and what to keep.
- Makes it easy to pick similar photos for review
- Alldup duplicate files finder allows you to select files by date
- You can ignore EXIF and ID3 tags when comparing files
- Allows you to select files based on the folder tree
- I found the software a bit over complex
Free Duplicate File Finder Runner Up #3: Clonespy
Smart Duplicate Finder.
Allows you to Review the Search Results. Though this free duplicate photo finder employs high-end smart algorithms to weed out redundant files and folders, it also provides you with a detailed report of the search duplicate file results for manual review. The review is very helpful, especially for similar photos that you probably wouldn’t want to delete.
Fully Customizable Finder. With this freeware duplicate file finder, you can do a lot more than finding and deleting duplicates. This software allows you to build checksum files from files on your hard drive and use them to check whether these files already exist on your computer. This not only saves you time in the future, but it also renders the experience straightforward. The tool allows you to replace redundant files with hard links to the retained files.
This free duplicate finder also allows you to move the duplicates to a different folder from where you can review the results later before deleting.
- Numerous scan modes and search methods make the process precise and bold
- Flexible Finder allows you to choose what to do to the duplicates
- You can use previously imported checksums to compare the files with those in your hard drives
Duplicate File Check App Mac Download
- I think the user interface could be improved a bit
Best Duplicate Photo Finder: Final Words
To sum it up, Duplicate File Finders is an important addition to your computer to constantly free up extra space on your hard drive and improve its performance. And with the new age where everything is on the internet, we are bound to download multiple files without even noticing, or create several backups in our computers. These duplicate management tools come in handy as they dredge for any redundant files and folders based on content, time, location, and name. Not only are they effective at doing it, but they are also extra fast and safe.
There are plenty of reasons why you need a Duplicate Files Finder, and depending on your Operating System and the version you’re using, there’s a good number of tools to choose from. However, we recommend going for a trusted software as you don’t want to install any other Finder on the internet. An ideal Duplicate Finder will carry out an in-depth search on your system, give you a wide selection of scan modes, generate a search report for review, and offer several ways to handle the duplicates.
This guide details everything you need to know to help you pick the best photo duplicate finder depending on your tech-savvy status. Whether you’re using a Mac or a Windows 10 computer, we have a great selection of compatible software for you. All the tools in this guide are expert-approved, efficient, easy to use, and only differ in specs. We hope this guide helps you to make an informed decision.
I hope my best duplicate photo finder review was helpful when you’re making your choice. I recommend that you also look around our site to learn about other online software for small business owners. For example our
Find Duplicate Files Mac
You must agree to the terms laid down here in order to use the software on your PC. You agree to abide by the copyrights and intellectual property rights laws as a trial or premium user of Clone Files Checker software.
To download and install this software on your computer you must
Delete Duplicate Mac
- not try to change the software code
- unless you have taken written permissions from Sorcim Technologies, not use our brand name, images and trademarks elsewhere. If you are given permission to use these materials, you agree to follow the terms laid down.
- agree that the software you are downloading may ask you to install updates that are meant to improve software functionality
- not sell the software to other people without our consent
- not remove the EULA text from software
- not distribute software to illegal websites
- adhere to the terms laid down here and you agree that your software license can be suspended in case you are found to be violating these terms of service conditions.
- The software Clone Files Checker is published by Sorcim Technologies (pvt) Ltd or Sorcim. It comes with a 'LIMITED FIX' option whereby you can delete up to 10 duplicate files groups from the files scanned and reported by the software.
- not held us responsible for claims provided about our software by third-parties like affiliates and partners
- agree to retain the right to stop using software distributed by Sorcim Technologies (pvt) Ltd.
- agree to use the software and content as it is and at your sole risk, and Sorcim Technologies is not held responsible for any loss incurred that is not applicable by law
- agree that Sorcim Technologies do not warrant to you that the content and software will meet all your requirements or will be free from error and you agree that any loss caused to your computer or any other electronic device will not be the responsibility of Sorcim.
- keep your license code saved yourself and company will not be responsible if you accidentally lose access to it
- understand and agree that there may be links to third-party websites in www.clonefileschecker.com website and Sorcim is not questionable or liable to any information provided by these external websites which are not directly affiliated with Sorcim.
- agree that the transactions carried out through our merchant are done at your own risk
- The Cloud Scan (in Clone Files Checker for Mac) is performed by Sorcim Technologies’ Cloud Duplicate Finder web-app. Its Terms of Service can be viewed at https://www.cloudduplicatefinder.com/tems-of-service